Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Of raisin cookies and books

According to my husband, when he was growing up his mother occasionally turned her chocolate chip cookie dough recipe into raisin cookies by simply substituting raisins for the chocolate chips. As far as I know this is the only way my husband eats anything with raisins. So in my efforts to make a raisin cookie that he would be able to take in his lunch, I simply adapted the Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and turned it into a delicious raisin cookie that my husband can enjoy.

Below is the original recipe from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book.
The Best Cooky of 1935-1940
Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 cup shortening(part butter or margarine)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups Gold medal Flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts *
1 pkg. (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)

*I omit the nuts.

The following is the recipe I have been tinkering around with:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup non-hydrogenated lard(aka pure lard) or non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening(Spectrum makes an organic one which my mother gifted me with.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup organic sugar (I actually use a little less than half a cup)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat well until thoroughly mixed in a large mixing bowl.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix dry ingredients together in small bowl.
Gradually add to large mixing bowl.

Add 1 cup soaked raisins (soak in warm water while you assemble the rest of the dough; drain dry and blot with paper towel to remove excess moisture.)

Drop by the teaspoon and bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
Makes about 2 dozen medium sized cookies.

The book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver is my recent used book sale find for only $4. It has been on my list to read for several months. So far I am enjoying the book despite the fact she does not appear to think much of those of us who do not subscribe to the macro-evolution view. The first chapter is bit abrasive because of her outspokenness but I am now a quarter of the way in and am learning a lot about the farming industries as well as home gardening efforts. I think overall I will be glad to have read her book.
I'm kind of comparing my interest in it right now to Nina Planck's Real Food book which I really enjoyed and had a hard time putting down. Not to exaggerate the book's influence, but it has revolutionized my cooking and baking priorities and ingredients. Her latest book, Real Food for Mother and Baby is due out the end of this month and I plan on reading it at some point.
Other food books I hope to read fully include Nourishing Traditions, The Real Food Revival and Michael Pollan's books, In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Wow........I was given honourable mention on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:53 PM

    Yeah.... and me too ! =)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and try to reply as much as I can. Thanks for reading here.