Friday, April 11, 2008

A lot less

I wrote the following post over two weeks ago.


I have so much.
My house is full, yet I still have lists of items that we are without.
Things that would make my life easier and more enjoyable or so I’ve been told.
I constantly am sorting, rearranging, and cleaning.
Time spent that can never be reused.
Part of me wants to purge until the house echoes with emptiness.
Part of me thinks that the day I part with something, I will discover my very need for it and will regret the hasty decision.
Better keep it just in case, I reason.
But how do I discern, all stuff that we need, from all the stuff that makes life more?
As a Christian, where does my stuff fit into God’s kingdom?
Did He give it to me or did I take it for myself?
How do I teach my children that toys can get in the way of loving and serving God after I have spent time and money shopping for all this stuff?
How do I ask grandparents not to treat Christmas and birthdays as tradition demands?
We are so set upon what makes a holiday a good holiday. Lots of food and stuff.
Make new traditions, I think.
Ones that reflect the application of true religion. "Look after orphans and widows in their distress and keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Many Christians last fall participated in a 30 Days of Nothing challenge. While that was intended to only last for a month, the lessons learned surely can be applied for a lifetime. Buy what is necessary. Give away what is not. Follow Jesus’ words to the rich young ruler. "Sell everything you have and give it to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven." No one can determine for you what is necessary and what is not. Family and friends may offer suggestions, but it is the Spirit of God that speaks to our hearts and says, "Enter into my rest from all your stuff. I will supply all your needs. You can do much with a lot less." So I dig myself out from the piles of belongings and begin to think clearly, pray eagerly and listen hard."Buy what is necessary. Give away what is not. I will supply all your needs and you will have treasure in heaven."

2 comments:

  1. To borrow words you've heard from other lips........preach it sista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Just wandered past your site today with no particular aim in mind.

    I read this and now know why I did! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and try to reply as much as I can. Thanks for reading here.